Wednesday, 19 September 2007

Who am I?



“Who am I?” you want to know
“Who am I?” you keep on asking
So I am from Africa… so what?
So I am different … so what?
So I have never been to London… so what?

Is being African about being black?
Is being black about living in the dark?
Is being black about the ugly things in life?
Is being black a pretext to act weak?
Is being black the ultimate curse?

NO I say!

The color of my skin will NEVER befit the shade of my thoughts
The color of my skin will NEVER cloud my goals in life
The color of my skin will NEVER outline my actions towards you
The color of my skin will NEVER shape my verve to come
The color of my skin will NEVER make me less a being

“Who am I?” you want to know
“Why do you ask?” I ask in return
“Why the constant comparison? I implore you
“Why the unrelenting search?” Do tell me please
Do I hear a war cry even in times of peace?

Wake up my people, there’s so much more to life!
Wake up my people, stop blaming your past!
Wake up my people, search your heart!
Wake up my people, reach for the stars!
Wake up my people, its all in your hands!

Wake up my people!!...
BE AFRICAN! Be Proudly AFRICAN!

No comments: