Tuesday, 2 October 2007

Sylvia weds Bob & the girls rock Kampala!





The girls had to come to Kampala from Nairobi to attend Silvia and Bob's wedding. I must admit I was kinda hesitant to host guests this last weekend!


Me...! ! Hesitant...! That was so un-me. But what do you do when you know that your pockets are not smiling as much as they should and hosting includes going the extra mile? Well, at the end of the day I did get around it by yes, doing it the ‘1st world way ‘ you come to the party with your food and drinks!

I was not sure the girls would recognise me, yes my picture is posted on my blog and yahoo messenger but seeing me in flesh is another story but I was wrong. As they came out of the bus I saw Millicent smiling and I said to myself must be one of them gang.

We made our way through the dusty kampala roads, the place is still as mess as preparations continue for CHOGM. The jam was another story, and I had hoped to refill at a petrol station but had not and now the fuel gauge was in the red! But we managed somehow.


It was another crazy weekend with hundreds of graduates filing our of the gates of Makerere. Yes, two whole days of people dressed in black holding parties in homes and in bufunda’s celebrating the present and ever preparing for the ever so bleak future.


We finally made it home, a cold shower, some breakfast later and we were on the road again. The girls simply had to shop and I had to pitch in office. Shopping in Kampala? Why, I always think Nairobi has better stuff, well the opposite is thought here, shoes, handbags the works!




The day ended well in the company of Stanley. Everyone did something in the kitchen. Some rice, minced meat, potato salad, tomato salad and a nice glass of wine. We had our dinner on the verandah with the full moon in view. Beautiful! Simply beautiful!


In order to get to know each other better, each one said something about themselves, what they do, what they like, what they dont like and where they are heading too.




It is interesting what a bunch of 5 girls can talk about. Men and babies always tend to creep up. The conversation also dwelt on how we should better ourselves as women not only for those around us but also for self.


I learnt alot from the girls, for a fact every one has issues in their lives. Bad relationships, good ones, skeletons in the closets, challenges at work, in life, in spirituality. The works. Glad to know am only human, am even more happy to learn that by sharing experiences one does better themselves and help others avoid the same pitfalls.


I need to write another blog on the "project daddy" and the highly advertised "cross generation of sex" issue. Now this is BIG!! It is happening every where and it is oh so real!!




Having had a long and tiring day, we retired way past midnight. Early morning meant going to the kingdom hall for me since we had a cleaning job at hand, it was fun, real fun working with every one and cleaning and conversing. I always enjoy it.




What a relief it was to learn that the program was starting at 2pm, gave us time to chill, eat and just relax. And despite that we got to both venues late!! oh my God!


I always look out for new things, I loved Sly's cake and the down to earth decorations. It was not that they could not afford it, but it was just simply and great! Whilst the usual weddings have everyone being served from the freshly cut cake, this one had little pieces of the wrapped as souveniers. That is how Anne our friend in Nairobi got hers intact!! It was beautiful.


We were late for both occasions but at least the girls got Silvia her presents. For dinner we had to do with downing Nile Special and kebabs! It was enough but i had to make sure breakfast was good and ready for the next day.



Well, we did have a great time at the wedding, and then proceeded to hang out with the boys at TLC. Peter did his usual Kenyan style hospitality to which the girls were greatful. I like it cause it is not the conventional disco and yes, so what if the entrance is free;-) I had to dance off the weight too. Loved it when Liz showed me the latest strokes!! haha! that was fun.
We drove back home slowly, a sort of hesitant good bye. Yes most of us were spent but we needed to see a little of Kampala so we headed to Serena to check out where Anne and Josephine 'spent some nights' during their last visit in April.
While the rest of the girls opted to snooze kidogo Liz and I did the rounds. At the lobby I met some three men who were so obviously ogling! The icing on the cake was when they tried a french line on moi yah right!


haha!

I love speed, but when it is due to pressure it becomes another thing! People had to dive for their seat belts as we sped thorough the streets of Kampala early in the morning to catch the bus! You know how those seated at the back tend to think its those infront who need them more, this time... I had fun!


We did make it to the bus in time! It felt so good driving fast, hope next time its going to be a long distance story. Entebbe or better still Jinja.



Girls it was great hosting you. Now about the next trip...






No comments: