Tuesday, 2 October 2007

Wululu and beyond

Time allowing I do check out the ‘forwards’ sent by friends via emails. Some of them make sense and some I leave to your imagination.

Well, this particular email once mentioned in part “…be selective as to who you tell your problems, because not everyone wants to hear them!”

Well, following my encounter or should I say near encounter with the thieves who ‘visited’ me Friday morning, I did mention the incident to both family and friends. The various reactions enabled me to appreciate the above proverb.

Whilst some reacted in shock and had to take a seat others simply stated ‘…this happens a lot’ meaning…. ‘So what is so new with you being visited by thieves”
While some demanded to get a minute by minute replay of everything and find out how I really was others found it “amusing” for the thieves to have called in at four in the morning, meaning… I should either have been awake or summarising my sleep or the thieves were just not too smart.

Some took time to text and encourage me not to let such an incident rob me of peace of mind but to strengthen the security or move house if possible.

Some responded by sharing their own experiences, helping me to appreciate even more (which believe me I already had) the fact that it could have been worse and that I should thank Jehovah that it was them evil plans did not go through, for others the important thing was that the thieves did not make off with anything, forgetting that what leaves you a bunch of nerves was the fact that some stranger was so close to invading what you have regarded as your safe haven.


Another friend reacted by trying to make sure I did not spend a lot of time on my own, despite my insisting that I was well. No, she wanted me to talk more about the incident, get it out of my system so to speak, and spend time with her and her family so as to get out of the gloom and start seeing the other side of life.

Others made follow up calls, wondering how I had spent the weekend since I live alone and they knew that it would be a while before I stop glancing over my shoulder or jumping at the sound of the neighbours door banging shut.


Whilst this has enabled me to better know where I lie with the people I hold dear to me, I have also learnt for a fact that not everyone sees things the way you do especially if they have not experienced the same or similar calamity. I am trying not to conclude that the callous reactions are a sign of what lies in ones heart. All I can think of how important it is to show empathy to all people at all times regardless.

No comments: