Monday, 12 November 2007

Akwagaliza Kibi, akwerabiza Katonda











I first heard this over the radio on Saturday from none other than the contraversial politician Nambooze! Am not into politics at all, but here I was stuck in this car and my favorite radio station had the "kimeeza" program.

"He/she who wishes you ill, makes you forget about God" is the direct translation of the Luganda proverb.

Whilst it was mentioned in a political set up , I could not help envisaging what it translated into in the everyday world. How many times have we mentioned that someone either brings out the best or the worst of you!

Henry my pal at CHDC gave me some insight on this proverb, stating that its actual meaning was "he who wished you ill, makes you take up a revengeful stance hence making u forget what God requires of you"

The concept of "turn the other cheek" and "the golden rule" amplified by Christ simply brought to nought all in the name of revenge. Reminds me of the descriptions remnicent with the journalistic world in abid to describe those who have gotten themselves in the same trap as "animalistic" and even "demonic"

No comments: