Friday, 2 November 2007

Bulungi Bwansi! - "4 the goodness of the land!"




In Uganda it is customary (hehe! that should be in the past tense) to do communual work especially when it came to maintanance of wells, roads and the like.

All people in the village had to participate since the clean up exercise was to benefit everyone.

I was nicely surprised last week as I walked up to my office. There is an island which had grown pretty bushy. Here was this gentle man clearing and planting flowers in it. I quickly assumed it was the sorghum.. sorry CHOGM beautify Kampala business.

A little "kabozi" later and I learnt that one of the residents had actually sponsored the cleam up!! At their cost!

Nice to know such people still exist. A non-Ugandan at that!
I think am going to attack those potholes on my home stretch! Mhh!

No comments: